Monday, September 2, 2013

SURPRISE!

On Sunday evening I felt prompted to send Taylor an email.  I doubted that he would get it before he left for San Diego, since his p-day is Tuesday.  However, I felt impressed to send it anyway.  I wanted to let him him know how excited we were for him to be heading to the mission field and also how much we loved him.  And let's be honest, there were words of packing advice and phrases of how proud we are of him. 

Earlier in the week I had asked Taylor if he would be able to call us from the airport.  He said probably not, as he was a missionary now and would not break any rules.  I checked with  several priesthood leaders as well as our Bishop to see what the "rules" were.  Everyone had a different answer.  Except for our very wise Bishop.  He suggested that Taylor ask whomever was in charge of him at the MTC. 

Monday we were in Idaho and were out to lunch, celebrating my cousin's daughter's birthday.  Shane happened to check the email on his phone.  There was an email from Taylor. 

Hola Momma!!
    
I actually was able to get privileges for emails today since I will not be able to email this week.  I also talked to the MTC President and he said that I am unable to call home because now I have my actual missionary tag and I need to live the rules of an actual missionary.  So sadly I will not be able to call home when I land or transfer flights.  But my mission president says that I might have an opportunity to email home when I arrive in San Diego.  I love you so much and am so grateful for you in my life.

I hate asking for things but if you haven´t already sent my "package" could you send my green scripture bag to me please?
I love you more than anything Mom. I thank you for providing the means for me to be out here. I can´t wait until I can just write you actual letters :) Love ya so much!

Elder Davis

Well there it was.  He went straight to the top and got an answer and I immediately made my peace with it.  I know that by obeying the rules he will be blessed and I wouldn't expect anything less from him.  I was able to quickly accept it and move on.

This morning Shane, Jonah and I tracked Taylor's first flight before we all left for work and school.  Then at about 9:10 my cell phone rang.  It was a number I didn't recognize and I almost didn't answer it.  SO glad I did!  It was Taylor!  His voice has gotten so much deeper that I almost didn't recognize it. 

I was like, "What are you doing?  I thought you couldn't call.  What is going on?"  He said that late last night the MTC president called a meeting and told the missionaries as long as they weren't within the boundaries of their mission that they could call their parents today.  I was in shock.  Such a wonderful surprise!  We talked for several minutes.  He told me about how much he loved his district and how close they had all become.  He spoke of several friendships he had made and how much they meant to him.  He was sad to have to say goodbye to everyone. 
Taylor's district

He said the language was coming along well, not as well as he would prefer, but he felt good about it.   I asked if he had "acquired" any new ties while in the MTC.  He said there was a tie exchange last night, but being "Taylor" he did the practical thing and went to bed so he would be prepared for the long day he would have today.  He said he had been up since 2:15 a.m. and had only slept a little bit on the plane.  He thanked me for being his mom and he told me how much he loved me.  We laughed and we cried.  I made sure he knew how proud we are of him and how glad we are that he is healthy enough to serve a mission.  I bore testimony of the gospel and encouraged him to find those who have waited so long for him to find them.  Today is the beginning of eternity for many souls who have long awaited his arrival.  I could have talked to him all day, but our time came to a close and we said our goodbye's and I love you's.  He's off to San Diego!

No comments:

Post a Comment