Wednesday, November 6, 2013


After receiving Taylor's email today we put in a call to the mission nurse to see why the scans had not been performed.  She seemed quite surprised and said she would start calling to see what was going on.  Next thing I know I received a call from the oncologist's office in California.  They said that our insurance would not give pre-authorization for the scans.  They asked that I call our insurance company and get things worked out.  According to the insurance company it wasn't a matter of pre-authorization. They informed me that the scans had actually been denied based on how the doctor's office had filled out the paperwork.  They said the doctor must call back and speak with one of their physicians and say the exact words they needed to hear or the scans would not happen. 

I was more than frustrated.  I kneeled down and said a prayer.  I didn't know what to do.  I wondered what the possibility of Taylor flying here for testing and then flying right back would be.  I called Shane to see what he thought.  Without me ever mentioning Taylor flying here, he brought up the exact same thing.  I knew I needed to inquire about the possibility. 

I then spoke with Sis. "R" and she said she would check on it and get back with me. A short while later she called and said they were just waiting on approval from the First Presidency and for me to see when PCMC could see Taylor. 

It was after 6 pm so no one was available at PCMC.  I called the minute they opened the next morning and they said they could see him as soon as Monday.  I let Sis. "R" know and she said she would get with Pres. Clayton and see about final arrangements.  I felt a sense of huge relief.  The doctors here know Taylor so well.  He has been going to them for over a decade.  They are familiar with his abnormalities (lymph nodes, spleen, platelets) and I think they will be able to figure out what is going on.

The relief didn't last long.  Within an hour Sis. "R" called and said the doctor had now gotten approval from the insurance company to perform the scans and they were scheduled for Saturday morning in California.  We weren't sure how to feel about this.  In the end it came down to the fact that President Clayton has stewardship over our son at this time and we will abide by his decisions. 

No comments:

Post a Comment